Note: This recipe is for Carolyn, who would sell her soul to the devil for a top quality brandysnap.
- 3 oz golden syrup
- 3 oz butter
- 7 oz caster sugar
- 3 oz plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon grated orange peel
- ½ teaspoon orange juice
- Heat the syrup, butter and sugar over a slow heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Drop the mixture onto a lightly greased baking tray, leaving room for the mixture to spread.
- Bake at 350°F / 180°C / Gas Mk 4 for 7-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Quickly but carefully remove from the tray with a fish slice and, while still hot, roll into shape or wrap around oiled oranges to make dessert cups.
- Leave to cool.