Note: Makes 1 x 2 lb loaf.
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp thick honey
- 4 oz butter (diced)
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 bananas (large, mashed)
- 2 oz walnuts (chopped)
- whisk sugar, honey and butter until light, fluffy and pale (takes about 5 mins)
- beat eggs and add to mixture a bit at a time with a little bit of flour each time to prevent curdling.
- mix salt and bicarbonate of soda into flour and fold into mixture with metal spoon
- whisk bananas and walnuts into mixture
- pour mixture into well-buttered loaf tin
- bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes
- cool on wire rack
Serve buttered and cut into slices at a jaunty angle with a cup of tea.