Notes: Steak doesn't need to be sirloin. Can substitute black peppercorns for green to make it even more peppery. Serves 2.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 sirloin steaks (preferably dry, aged)
- salt & ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed green peppercorns
- 100g (3½oz) crème fraÎche
- Heat oil (medium heat) in large frying pan.
- Season steaks with salt and ground black pepper and fry for 2-5 minutes on each side (depending on how well done you like them).
- Remove steaks from pan. (Pour off excess water if there was a lot of water pumped into the steaks—why do they do that?).
- Add crushed green peppercorns and crème fraÎche to pan and warm, stirring in any meat juices from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour sauce over steaks and serve immediately with vegetables of your choice.
It wont work with black peppercorns unless you like crunching on crushed black peppercorns through a cream sauce.
I do indeed like crunching on (fairly well crushed) black peppercorns through a (crème fraÎche) sauce. It works very well. You should give it a go.