Notes: Recipe by Ken Hom. Also known as gaeng phed ghoong. Feeds 4. Serve with plain rice.
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1½ tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla) or light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- a small handful of basil leaves, shredded
- 4 kaffir lime leaves or 1 tablespoon shredded lime zest
- 450g/1 lb raw prawns, shelled and de-veined
- a handful of fresh coriander leaves
- cooked rice to serve
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is very hot and add oil.
- When oil is hot, add the garlic, shallots and cumin seeds and stir fry for 5 minutes or until well toasted.
- Add shrimp paste and curry paste and stir fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce or soy sauce, sugar, basil leaves and lime leaves or lime zest. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander leaves, give the mixture a good stir and serve.
hi the thai red prawn curry it was fantastic