Notes: Feeds 4. Short cooking time, so prepare ingredients and cook rice beforehand.
- 3 oz (75g) cashew nuts
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed, sliced into thin strips
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into thin finger-length strips
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp dry sherry (you can drink the rest of the bottle - it would be a crime to waste it)
- 3 tbsp hoi-sin sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 5-6 spring onions, green part only, cut into 1-inch lengths
- Heat wok/frying pan until hot (medium heat), then dry-fry cashew nuts for 1-2 minutes until brown. Remove nuts and set aside.
- Increase heat and add groundnut oil, then add garlic and let it sizzle for a few seconds, then add pepper and chicken and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add sherry and hoy sin sauce.
- Continue to fry until chicken is tender and all the ingredients are evenly glazed.
- Stir in the sesame oil, cashews and spring onions.
- Serve immediately (with boiled rice).