Notes: Fantastic, tasty and very easy recipe. Feeds 4 (or two twice, reheated). Cover with foil if re-heating.
Important: Use a BIG roasting tin—the sort you might roast your Christmas turkey in—to allow the heat to circulate, otherwise stuff won't cook properly. (Trust me on this: I speak from personal experience.)
- 8 chicken thighs with skin still on (or a whole chicken jointed into 8 pieces)
- 2 red onions, each cut into 10 wedges
- 550g (1¼lb) waxy baby potatoes, not peeled
- 2 garlic bulbs separated into cloves, not peeled
- salt and pepper
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- about 5 sprigs of rosemary
- Either buy an Aga or pre-heat your oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Spread the vegetables and garlic in a single layer over the base of a roasting tin.
- Season vegetables, pour over the oil and balsamic vinegar and add the rosemary.
- Toss the vegetables with your hands, so that they get nicely covered in the liquid, then tuck the chicken thighs in amongst them.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.