Note: Makes about 8 servings. Idea for freezing. We reckon it tastes better after freezing, or if cooked a day before.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 500g/½lb lean minced beef
- 225g/8oz tinned tomatoes
- 85g/3oz tinned tomato puree
- 1 red pepper in smallish chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons mild chilli powder (or 2 tsp extra hot chilli powder)
- 350ml/12 fl.oz beef stock
- 400g/14oz kidney beans
- 500g/½lb mushrooms (chopped, seasoned with black pepper)—but we usually put in lots more
- Seal meat in olive oil.
- Add everything else except kidney beans and mushrooms.
- Simmer for one hour.
- Add kidney beans and mushrooms.
- Simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice or jacket potatoes