Note: Feeds 4.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp Thai 7-spice
- very large knob of root ginger (about 100g), peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 white fish fillets, approx 175g/6oz each
- large handful of corriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 (or buy an Aga).
- Heat oil in a deep, overproof frying pan, tip in the 7-spice and sizzle for a moment.
- Add ginger and chilli, give it a stir, then add chickpeas, stirring to coat them with the spices.
- Pour in tomatoes, season to taste, then bring to boil.
- Season fish and place on top of chickpea mix (skin-side down, if skin not removed). Splash some of the sauce over the fish, then roast for 12 minutes, or until fish flakes when gently pressed.
- Scatter over the corriander and serve immediately.