Notes: Feeds 4. Serve with boiled rice.
- 2 onions, finely chopped/grated
- 2 long green chillis, sliced
- 2–4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 150ml tin coconut milk
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons water
- 600g white fish, cut into chunks
- juice of half a lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Fry onions over medium heat in large saucepan until soft (about 7 minutes).
- Add chillis, ginger, garlic, spices, cardamom seeds and bay leaves. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and water, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add fish. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Season to taste and add lime juice.
- Serve with boiled rice, sprinkling chopped coriander on top.