Notes: All quantities are approximate. I prefer my lemonade very tangy, so usually use half the amount of sugar (unless I'm expecting guests). Makes 2½-3 pints. If you leave the lemons on a warm windowsill beforehand, you will get far more juice.
- 6-8 lemons (plus a few limes, if you're feeling posh)
- 6-8oz sugar
- 2 pints boiling water
- Grate zest of lemons into large bowl.
- Add sugar, pour on boiling water, stir until sugar dissolved, cover and leave to cool a bit (in fridge, if you like)
- Squeeze lemon/lime juice into separate bowl.
- Once main mixture has cooled, add lemon/lime juice (you add these after cooling to prevent the vitamin C from being destroyed).
- Strain mixture into suitable bottles/jugs using a sieve, then put in the fridge to cool.