Notes: Serves 8-10. Does not require an ice-cream-making machine. Will keep in the freezer for a month. If you can't obtain any limoncello, you can, apparently, use three tablespoons of ice-cold water instead—but it's hardly going to be limoncello gelato, then, is it?
- 3 fat, juicy lemons
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 450ml double cream
- 3 tablespoons limoncello, ice cold from the freezer
- Finely grate the zest of the 3 lemons into a bowl, then add their juice.
- Stir in the sugar and leave for 30 minutes.
- Whip the cream with the limoncello to make soft peaks, then beat in the lemon juice mixture.
- Turn into a plastic tub, cover and freeze overnight.