Skip to content
- Makes 6–8 portions.
- Suitable for freezing.
- To skin the tomatoes, immerse them in boiling water for a few minutes, them pick/pull off the skin with the aid of a knife-tip.
- 6 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 8 tomatoes, skinned and halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (plus a bit more for garnish)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, chopped
- 900ml /1½ pints vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 6 (or buy an Aga).
- Place red peppers skin side up in a large roasting tin.
- Place tomatoes cut side up in the same roasting tin.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Bake for 1 hour (but see next step).
- About 20 minutes before the hour's baking is up, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and garlic very gently for 15 minutes with the lid on (they should not brown).
- Add the roasted red peppers and tomatoes to the saucepan.
- Add the stock, cover, and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Season to taste and serve garnished with fresh basil.