Notes: Feeds 4. The Bolognese sauce freezes well, so we always make more than we need.
- ½ lb / 450g lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¼ lb / 220g mushrooms, finely chopped (we usually use more)
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped (we usually use more)
- 1 tin tomatoes (preferably chopped)—or 2 tins if you really like tomatoes!
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 level teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground, black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional, but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (or olive oil)
- 1 bay leaf
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- heat oil in large saucepan.
- add onions, garlic, green pepper & carrot. Cook until onions soften and turn opaque (keep stirring occasionally to avoid burning).
- add tomatoes, tomato puree, marjoram, salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper & bay leaf. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring fairly regularly. Make sure the tomatoes are well mashed up.
- add mushrooms and mince. Stir for a few minutes until mince has changed colour and separated, then reduce heat and cover.
- cook for half an hour or so. Add some more tomatoes or a dash of water if it starts to look too dry.
- cook spaghetti according to instructions on packet.
- serve with lots of black pepper and some grated Parmesan cheese (optional).