Notes: Feeds 2. Cooks quite quickly, so it's best to prepare all the ingredients beforehand (including the egg/cream/parmesan mix described below). If (like me) you have delicate stomach, or are wary of eating semi-raw egg mixes, you can toss the final mix over a low heat, but be careful not to scramble the eggs.
- 250g/9oz spaghetti
- knob of butter
- 140g/5oz pancetta, cubed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 150ml/5fl.oz single cream
- small block of parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook spaghetti according to instructions on packed.
- About 6 minutes before the pasta is due to be ready, melt butter in small frying pan, add pancetta, and fry for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Lightly beat together eggs and cream in a bowl, grate in a large handful of parmesan and beat into a light, creamy mixture, with plenty of seasoning.
- Drain pasta well and quickly return to the pan. Without returning it to the heat, add pancetta mixture and cream mixture and toss well together so the heat from the pasta slightly thickens the sauce.
- Divide between two bowls and top with good grinding of black pepper and a grating of parmesan.