Hundreds of cats may have died because their owners mistakenly treated them with anti-flea products intended for dogs, a study suggests.
The Veterinary Poisons Information Service found that one in 10 cats referred to it had died after being exposed to permethrin. The chemical is used in flea treatments for dogs but is very toxic to cats, said Alex Campbell of VPIS.
That's permethrin. Remember the name: permethrin.
Ann helpfully pointed out that lilies are also deadly to cats. I wonder whether lilies would survive in acidic Pennine soils. It's got to be worth a try.